Friday, January 28, 2011

The Perfect Afternoon

I’m pretty sure we all have nostalgic memories from our childhood, a time we remember as PERFECT! A time we wish we could return to again and again for happiness and comfort.

My perfect happy childhood memory was the feeling of my house during the spring and summer months! My mom all of the sudden had a burst of energy! She’d have the radio on, cleaning the house with all of the windows and doors open, letting all of the fresh air and soft breezes fill our house. She’d have us playing outside, make us lunch and there was a certain positive energy that filled the house. When we were younger, she’d let us take naps on their big bed in the master bedroom with the window open and the ceiling fan spinning above us. She’d often tell me, “You don’t have to go to sleep, but you do have to lay down and rest”… A line I often use on Roxy.

I wasn’t to the age yet where wished I were grown-up already, but I was old enough to have crystal clear memories. Well, today is a super lucky day for me! Somehow I have recreated my favorite childhood feelings in my own, grown-up house! The weather is warm, I’ve been on a walk with the kids, I have the radio set to KyXy 96.5FM, listening to mostly nostalgic music, the doors and windows are open, natural light is flooding the house, the kids are napping and I’ve just finished cleaning both of the bathrooms. It may not sound like much. But to me, I’ve somehow recreated my idea of the perfect house/perfect mommy!

It may be only one perfect afternoon this week. But it could turn into two perfect afternoons next week and even three perfect afternoons next month. This is looking to be a fantastic Spring and Summer!

1 comment: